The Lake Highland Prep Athletic Training program is committed to providing student-athletes with the highest quality healthcare accessible to improve athletic performance following injuries and increase overall well-being.
Athletic trainers are healthcare professionals who collaborate with physicians to optimize patient and client activity and participation in athletics, work, and life. The practice of Athletic Training encompasses:
- Injury and illness prevention strategies
- Examination and diagnosis of neuromusculoskeletal conditions and certain medical conditions
- Treatment and rehabilitation of emergent, acute, subacute, and chronic neuromusculoskeletal conditions
As part of a complete health care team, the Athletic Training staff works under the direction of a licensed physician and in cooperation with other healthcare professionals. The Athletic Training staff is educated and qualified to:
- Determine an athlete’s readiness to participate in sports
- Promote safe and appropriate practices and competitions
- Provide on-site recognition, evaluation, and immediate treatment of injuries and illnesses
- Facilitate rehabilitation and reconditioning after injury
The Athletic Training staff has two fully functioning athletic training rooms. The Gina Martin Athletic Training Room and the Meffe Athletic Training Room. Gina Martin was Lake Highland’s first Athletic Trainer and has left a legacy that still lives on. The Athletic Training rooms are open for general use after school each day until 6:00 p.m. or until the end of the last practice or competition. The athletic training rooms have the all the necessary modalities to facilitate a full and healthy recovery, including but not limited to combination electrical stimulation and ultrasound therapy, Normatec, and an 8 person cold whirpool.