IMPORTANT INFO: 2019 MS Cross Country Season
1. Please sign up your athlete using the google form here! This is the only way we know who to check on forms for before our first practice and we can add you to our email list. Sign up sheets will also be posted in the 6th grade hallway & on the Charles Clayton Campus, but the google form is still necessary as this is how we are collecting parent contact information this year.
2. Uniforms must be purchased by July 12th! See the flyer here that includes all website instructions to purchase as well as pictures of all the options. What you purchase will be directly delivered to your house in August before the first meet. If you missed the uniform deadline please email Coach Cook (email@example.com). I have ordered some extra uniform tank tops and will do my best to find a good fit before I run out.
- Each runner must purchase a uniform tank top. That is the only required item. The youth size tank is unisex (Dry Miler). If your child gets an adult size tank then the cuts are slightly different for men and women.
- The youth girls' running shorts are out of stock, so girls who prefer a youth short need to provide their own black shorts for meets. There is an option on the shop if your female athlete can wear adult size shorts (Dry Tempo Shorts). Keep in mind XS is an option in the adult stuff. Boys can purchase either of the two short options in the store or provide their own black shorts.
- We also recommend you get the short sleeve, red t-shirt to wear to school on meet days and any Friday. The other stuff in the shop is just for fun and can be worn on any spirit day!
3. The Physical (EL2) and Consent Form (EL3) must be submitted through Athlete Connection by 3:00pm Friday, August 16 to participate in our first practice on Monday, August 19th. These forms are good for a calendar year from when it was dated.
4. Athletes are also required to watch 3 videos before participating in a meet. These videos must be viewed again each academic year. Click here for more information on the required forms and videos. The 3 certificates earned for watching the videos must also be uploaded to Athlete Connection.
5. Each athlete must complete a baseline concussion test before our first practice. Many have done this, but anyone who hasn't will be sent a link by the trainers to complete from home.
6. First practice is Monday, August 19th. If any parents have questions you can meet us at 4:30 in the foyer of the main campus gym after the first practice. Practices will be held on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays 3:30-4:30. We always meet in the front of the main campus gym. 7th/8th graders will take the Activity Bus over to the main campus immediately after school.
7. See tentative calendar of all practices and meets here. All meets are at Trinity Prep and races are 2 miles.
8. There are no try-outs! Any 6th-8th grader with a good attitude and desire to run is on our team!
***Any questions - email Coach Jessikah Cook (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Practices will be held every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Practices will be held at the main campus from 3:30-4:30. Transportation to the main campus will be provided for the 7th and 8th graders on practice days. Runners will practice on the track, around the Lake Highland campus and on the Orlando Urban Trail. Pick up will be in front of the main campus gym. Pick-up is at 4:30.
What to Bring to Practices
- Good running shoes. If you need more information, see below.
- Water Bottle—hydration is important
- Comfortable, cool, and appropriate clothes to run in.
- A desire to run!
Rainy Day Practices
We will run in the rain; however, if it is lightning we will practice indoors. We will work out in the gym or on the stairs in the Rex Building.
In order to be eligible for an athletic team in the current school year, a current Physical Form (EL2) and Consent Form (EL3) must be on file in the Athletic Training office. Your child may not practice until this is turned in! These forms can be found here and MUST be submitted through the online system (Athlete Connection).
All meets will take place at Trinity Prep (5700 Trinity Prep Lane, 32792)
Please mark your calendars with the dates below:
Wednesday, August 28th Tuesday, September 3rd
Tuesday, September 10th Tuesday, September 17th
Tuesday, September 24th Tuesday, October 1st (Championship Meet)
***Girls will start @ 4:30 followed by the boys @ 5:00 (or whenever the girls finish). Races are 2 miles and the meet should be over around 5:30pm.
In order to be eligible for meets, students must come to AT LEAST one practice a week. Coming to every practice is ideal. If you will miss practice, you must notify me in advance, either in person, by email or by phone. You are encouraged to run the workout you miss on your own under parent supervision.
Transportation for Meets
A bus will take students from LHPS to the meets. You may take your child with you after the meet, or they may ride the bus back to LHPS and you may pick them up at the Main Campus Gym at approximately 6:00pm.
Improvement and Additional Training
At this age, the focus of a running program is fun and improvement. The goal is for you to have fun and hopefully run faster at the end of the season than you did in the beginning. It is VERY advisable to run on your own in addition to the scheduled practices. If you are going to miss practice our hope is that you will complete the workout at home.
We will have NEW uniform tank, shorts and spirit t-shirt this year! A link to purchase and select your uniform size (and other fun spirit wear) is at the top of this site and in the email sent out by Middle School AD, Lee Pope. The only item athletes are required to purchase is the uniform tank. The shop will close July 12th to ensure all uniforms are delivered before our first meet. We will purchase some extras for late joiners, but cannot guarantee we will have enough.
There is no single “best shoe.” Everyone has different needs depending on their biomechanics, their weight, or the shape of their feet. One person's ideal shoe can be terrible for another person. A training shoe with plenty of cushion and support should be used on a daily basis for a growing runner. We recommend Track Shack to help you find the right shoe. They give 10% off to student runners!
Location: 1104 N. Mills Avenue, Orlando, FL 32803
Phone: (407) 898 - 1313
Hours: Mon-Fri (10am – 7pm), Sat (9am – 5pm), Closed Sunday