While playing and exploring in art classes from Pre-Kindergarten through AP Studio Art, students learn lessons that last a lifetime while their skills of creativity, collaboration, patience, problem solving, empathy, and imagination flourish under the guidance of our talented and dedicated art faculty. At LHPS, students explore art as the means to a richer life and pursue art in conservatory-like programs.
Lower School classes include General Art K—2nd and 3—5th, Robotics and Game Design, while Middle School class offerings include Drawing and Painting, Art Techniques and Comic Book Illustration. In Upper School classes include Art I—III, Advanced Drawing and Compositon, AP Studio Art, AP Art History, Ceramics I—II, Computer Art, Photography I—III, Digital Video I—IV, and Emerging Media.
Lake Highland Prep offers a variety of visual arts experiences for students. Some opportunities include:
- Submissions considered for publication in the LHPS award-winning art and literature magazine, By Any Other Name
- Participation in the annual Festival of Trees to benefit the Orlando Museum of Art's education programs.
- Artists in Action: An LHPS program in which volunteer parents present exciting hands-on lessons and activities to Lower School Students.
- Middle and Upper School students participate in art showings at the Winter Park Library
- Juried art shows for Lower, Middle, and Upper Schools during Arts Festival week
- Upper School art students showcase selected pieces at the Annual Winter Park Art Festival and at City Arts Factory in downtown Orlando
- The annual Art Contest, sponsored by the Arts League, provides a unique connection between LHPS to the community
- Participation in the editing and compiling of the LHPS yearbook, The Lakhischan and newspaper, Twice Told Tales - award-winning publications recogonized by American Scholastic Press Association.